About the challenge
The Russian invasion of Ukraine, started on 24 February 2022, is an ongoing conflict that has displaced at least 10.5 Million people already, and has caused countless deaths and injuries.
The devastation is shocking, marking Europe’s biggest refugee crisis since World War II. Ukrainians are faced with armed warfare, bombings, utility shut-offs, and lack of access to food and medical care. And the situation is even more dire for people of color and the LGBT community, who face discrimination (and are sometimes even turned away) when trying to flee the violence.
With celebrities, governments, millionaires, and everyday people rallying to support the Ukrainian people – we’re left wondering how the tech community can apply its unique skills and develop solutions to help the cause.
About Girls in Tech
Girls in Tech empowers women to tackle important global issues using tech skills. We’re passionate about building equal and inclusive experiences, supporting freedom for every person, and solving complex problems.
We invite you to join us in developing much-needed tech solutions for the people of Ukraine. Whether you’re a web developer, a designer, a product developer, an engineer, a strategist, or anyone with ideas – we need your input.
What to Build
Here are some examples of the types of solutions you could design:
- Communication: Technology that connects Ukrainians to friends and family, journalists and media, or military units.
- Healthcare: International TeleHealth services with language translation options for people on the ground.
- SOS apps: Ways for civilians to send out an SOS for emergency services or nearby help.
- Resource identification: Ways to help families stuck in the crisis find and share resources like food, water, shelter, and medical supplies.
- Donation methods: Systems that connect international donations to real-world humanitarian aid.
What to Submit
A functioning MVP ready for immediate use.
Develop a prototype concept for an application that can later become a functioning product.
All of the following items must be included in your submission to the Girls in Tech Devpost page:
1. Submission form
Submit your project to the Girls in Tech Devpost before the deadline and complete the submission form questionnaire. Submissions (including video/code links) are editable until the deadline.
What to include:
- Purpose & Motivation
- How does the application work?
- How was the application developed?
- How to use the application
- Difficulties & Challenges faced during the design and/or development process.
- Go-to-Market (How will the application be available to the public, and is it scalable?)
Upload a 3 min video including the following:
- Pitch Deck Presentation
- Demo of your product, including an explanation of the solution and function of your application.
- This video can be submitted as a Youtube link on your Devpost page for your project. Make sure the video is set to public.
Note: Any video longer than 3 mins will be automatically disqualified
3. GitHub or other code repo link
Please ensure that this link is publicly shareable so judges can access your project.
4. Provide images, screenshots, & wireframes of your project
***Important: By submitting your project to the Girls in Tech Hackathon Devpost, you acknowledge that these materials may be used to promote this hackathon globally.
|Team Formation + Build Period||Judging|
|Sprint||June 20 - July 15||July 18 - August 5|
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
|# 1||Registration||In Devpost, click the “Register” button and create an account.|
|# 2||Join Slack Workspace||Join the Slack Workspace: Support Ukraine with Girls in Tech Hackathon and introduce yourself in the #general channel!|
|# 3||Recruit team members||Head over to the participants’ page to indicate whether you’re working alone, looking for teammates, or already have a team. You can also post in the #find-teammates Slack channel if you’re still looking for more team members or are trying to join an existing project.|
|# 4||Create a team channel in Slack||Feel free to create your channel in Slack and invite all of your team members to it.|
|# 5||Review rules and challenges||Review the rules and guidelines on Devpost and challenge project ideas: Support Ukraine with Girls in Tech Hackathon|
|# 6||Prototype, build, and test!||Work on your challenge project and submit it via Devpost. It is highly recommended to use Slack to reach out to your team members|
|# 7||Submit!||Submit your completed project by the Sprint deadline of July 15, 2022|
PRIZES FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS:
To receive these prizes, you must submit your completed project to the Girls in Tech Hackathon Devpost by July 15, 2022.
$6,000 in prizes
- $3,000 Cash Prize
- $2,000 Cash Prize
- $1,000 Cash Prize
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
Girls in Tech
Is the idea original and innovative?
Is the design user-centric, easy to navigate, and intuitive?
Can the application be transformed into an MVP ( Minimum Viable Product), be profitable, and scalable?
Is the application addressing real issues the users are facing? Does the application provide user research or validation?